Our Mission Statement
Our vision is bold. “Salem Home will be recognized as an innovative leader in the delivery of Long Term Care.”
We believe that relationships are the most important part of everyone’s life. That is why we began, and continue to develop the Relationship Centered Model of Care. This model is centered on UK based Michael Nolan’s research that identifies six dimensions that affect our well-being:
- Security – feeling safe
- Belonging – feeling a part of a community, being part of a relationship whether new or established
- Continuity – linking the past, present and future
- Purpose – enjoying meaningful activities
- Achievement – completing goals that give satisfaction
- Significance – feeling valued
Our values of compassion, dignity, excellence and faith guide us as we work to ensure the residents’ have a positive lived experience while living at Salem Home.
The Resident Bill of Rights and Responsibilities ensure that resident rights are protected and respected.
We are accredited through Accreditation Canada. This means we meet nationally develop organizational and care standards as measured against other long term care facilities. In 2003, the Behavior Treatment Unit was recognized by Accreditation Canada as a Best Practice, and 2012, the model of care we have adopted “Relationship Centered Care” was recognized as a Leading Practice.
We are also required to meet the Personal Care Home Standards legislated by the Manitoba Government. Standards visits are made by Manitoba Health every two years.
Some things to know about us:
- We provide specialized care in Personal Care, Alzheimer’s/Dementia Care, Young Residents, Behavior Treatment, and Respite Care.
- We are the only Personal Care Home in Manitoba with a Behavior Treatment Unit. It is a specifically designed unit and program for those having difficulty adapting in a normal care environment.
- The Behavior Treatment Unit also has an Outreach Program that provides support and assistance to other facilities throughout Southern Health – Santé Sud and beyond.
- We were the first rural facility in Manitoba – acute/long term care to use Electronic Health Records.
- We were the first facility to introduce dietary information electronically in 1996.
- We use the Suzy Q model of meal service offering choice to residents at meal time.
- We are the only organization in North America to use the QUIS-EH-O measurement tool which measures the resident’s real life experience at Salem Home.
- We employ over 300 staff.
- We have a multi-national staff – British, Brazilian, Dutch, German, Russian, Filipino, Pakistani, East Indian, Mexican, Canadian, etc.
- We have a dedicated group of about 200 volunteers who spend time with residents.
- We contract a Paid Companion Program for residents needing more companionship.
- We provide practicum experience to educational programs from Assiniboine College Practical Nursing Program, Brandon University Psychiatric Nursing Program, Red River Community College Health Care Attendant Program, and University of Manitoba Social Work Program.
- Salem Home is owned by 13 Mennonite Churches within the Winkler and surrounding district.
- Both the churches and community are involved in providing programs to the residents. The number of programs range from 300 to 400 per year.
As a Leadership Team, we strive to make Salem Home a place where:
- residents continue to live their lives
- employees can work in a respectful, fair, and safe environment
- residents are cared for using appropriate leading edge technology
- relationships are important regardless of the role each one has within the facility
- faith permeates decision making
It is important to each one of us that regardless of your interaction with someone from Salem Home, you have a positive experience. Thank you for finding out about us – we are passionate about Salem Home – its mission, its residents, and creating the best organization.”
Give a resident the gift of your time. Please click on the button to find a way to volunteer.View Positions
Salem Home's goal is to recruit and hire staff who are passionate about serving and caring for senior adults.View Positions
To donate online to The Salem Foundation, click the button below. Your donation is making a difference in a resident's life today and for tomorrow.Donate Today!
Check out the latest Salem Home news and events!See All